The active excursion equipment owned by the museum consists of two table cars that provide first class service.One is an ex-Chesapeake and Ohio dining car built in the 1950's. Much of the interior is the same as when it was built as the Botsford Tavern. It is a classic example of the early lightweight cars that started appearing after World War II.The second first class car started life as a Lackawanna Railroad coach, was gutted by a previous owner and was rebuilt by the museum as a table car.It was designed to give the feel of the older heavyweight cars from the 1920's, but using lighter woods as opposed to the more common mahoganies and other dark woods of that era. The rest of the current excursion fleet is made up of leased ex-New York Central 56 seat coaches that were built almost entirely of stainless steel in 1947.The museum also has several pieces of equipment that are stored out of service.The most notable of these are two ex-New York Central Railroad diesel passenger locomotives built by the Electro Motive Division of General Motors.They are designated E-8s are were the premier passenger locomotives for most railroads until retirement in the 1970's. Additionally, there are two coaches stored out of service and a cafe car.
Passenger Equipment Contact: Frederick Henn
New Car Rails
Four passenger type cars were purchased in late 2007. A 52 seat Passenger Coach, a Pullman Sleeper, a Café Car and a baggage/power-generator car arrived from Canada by early August 2007. They were part of the St. Jacobs and Waterloo dinner train. The cars are presently undergoing restoration for the eventual return to service here at the museum.
E-8 experts Roger and Dwayne Fuehring (sons of the late Bill Fuehring who was instrumental in forming the national Rail Passenger Car Association) were on hand to check them over and fire them up. However, having not been operated in the previous 3 years, the E-8’s needed a good deal of maintenance and service. The units were stored in Lockport for a couple of years and are now stored in Medina, where they are undergoing restoration as time and funds permit.
In early August 2007 the Fuehring brothers were back in Lockport assisting with the servicing necessary to bring these units up to FRA maintenance standards for return to active duty on the “Erie Canal Excursions” between Medina and Lockport, NY. New motor brushes and a pair of bolster shims have been installed. One replacement governor has been installed and checked out. Most of the FRA 92-day inspections have been completed.
Your help in preserving these great locomotives will be most welcome. Upgrades and service work on these units is very expensive. Donations and gifts for this work will be greatly appreciated and can be mailed to us.
Thomas M. Reynolds Dining Car
In March 2011 the museum purchased the Apollo dining car with a 68 passenger capacity and an excellent interior in working order. The Apollo gave the museum a First Class capability for excursions as well as air conditioning, where as coaches only have heat. It began revenue service in November 2012 and has served very well since. In October 2016, the Apollo was renamed the Thomas M. Reynolds Dining Car for Congressman Reynolds' contribution in obtaining and restoring the E8 locomotives and the 20th Century Limited passenger cars.
Want to take a trip on the Reynolds car? Go to "Train Schedule" and select First Class seats on Car A!
Raymond C. Roe Dining Car
In the spring of 2015, restoration of a second dining car began. Because of deterioration and vandalism, the interior of the Roe car needed to be gutted, the roof needed repairing, and the windows needed replacing. New flooring, carpeting, and woodwork was installed, and after a year and a half of work, the Roe car was back in service in time for the 2016 fall excursions. The Roe car was dedicated in October of 2016 to honor Air Force veteran and longtime friend of the museum Raymond Roe for years of service in the military and his many generous contributions to the museum including over $30,000 in artifacts and train memorabilia. When Ray passed in January of 2013, he even included an incredible donation to the museum in his last will. Without Roe's generosity, the car's restoration would not have been possible.
Want to take a trip on the Roe car? Go to "Train Schedule" and select First Class seats on Car B!
Since 2007, the baggage car has served as additional storage for the museum as well as providing power for the two dining cars since neither have generators of their own. Because the car is not for public use, the baggage car has had little to repair over the years however in 2016 a fresh coat of paint was applied to match the newly restored Roe car and "United States Mail" was printed on the side to mimic the ubiquitous mail cars of the early to mid 20th century.